Tuesday 21 June 2016

For and against rules

Any community needs rules to function as intended. The transport community needs a highway code, the banking community needs a financial code of conduct, the media need a rulebook to guarantee the freedom of expression and ensure fair coverage, the consumer community needs consumer protection legislation, states need laws, etc. No community can function without rules, so they are very much needed.

However, most people dislike rules intuitively. I, too, dislike rules. It's part of my biology. It's part of almost everyone's biology. I even intuitively dislike the few people who impose rules per se. I definitely detest people who want me to have a bad time at work and create rules to make sure I can't enjoy myself while doing my job. I think it should be possible to work and simultaneously have a good time. Rules should make sure that I do my job, rather than make sure I don't have fun while I'm at it. In a broader context, life should be a pleasurable experience, and being part of a good community should always be more pleasurable than staying out of it. Excessive rules can ruin the mood, while no rules can ruin the community.

I can only be sold rules on the rationale that they serve a good and valid purpose, such as keeping a community safe and prosperous.

For and against moral rules
If humans were fully rational, rational rules would suffice. But since they are not fully rational, we also need emotional rules, aka morality. Emotions have the advantage of being faster and easier to condition. For example, if our eyes didn't have an involuntary shut-down mechanism for avoiding the impact of flying objects, most of us would soon have no eyes left. If children were not equipped with emotional rules against leaping from heights, soon there would be no children left. If women were not biologically and parentally conditioned to think twice before having sex, most of them would soon be trapped in unwanted pregnancies. So emotional (moral) rules are clearly necessary.

However, moral rules are a drag. Some moral rules are more observed in the breach and lead to hypocrisy. Some moral rules may no longer make sense and yet are not repealed, because being emotional, it's hard to measure them against a rational standard. Most importantly, moral rules put some degree of pressure on rule-breakers, and humans are biologically programmed to minimise pressure.

So both rational rules and emotional rules are a mixed blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment